New, yet old

Discussion in 'Meet and Greet' started by Main, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Main

Main Active Grayhead

Hi, I am also a member on the old forums. But I have to admit I don't go there very often. My name there is Lowland_Kid. However, in real life people call me Main (pronounce: Mine), so I decided to use that one here. It feels more like "me". :)

I am Dutch, married to a Swiss. We live in Switzerland now, we have also lived in Rotterdam, NL (where we met while working for Unilever) and in Reigate, Surrey, UK (where we discovered David Gray). We have two (now teenage) children and two dogs.
    Hubby and I have fairly different tastes in music, but David Gray unites these tastes.

2. Marcel

Marcel Administrator Staff Member

Welcome back !

Enjoy the new forum, we will have to do some work still but we are getting there :)

Cheers,

Marcel.

3. davidcotyalex

davidcotyalex Well-Known Grayhead

hey there lowland!! was back a blue balls this summer - saw damien rice solo - was an incredible gig!! and always good to be in luzern....took the same pic on top of mt pilatus for nostalgia! :)

good to see ya!

4. nikdom

nikdom New Grayhead

Hello everyone, also been a member of the old forums, shame on me for posting only every once in a while, although I visited the forums quite regulary. I was totally bummed when I visited the DG site yesterday and couldn't find the forums anymore - really hadn't heard about them closing down. But Google was my friend and I soon found this new home and some explanation on the situation. But a remaining question: Was there any official statement from the DG people that the boards will be shut down on a certain date? I mean, a "news" on the main page? Or why didn't everyone on the newsletter got an info on that? I really feel a bit p-i-s-s-e-d about that - it adds to the strange feeling I got in the past about the "official behaviour" from the DG camp - whoever personally stands behind that...
    And: I'm starting to feel really old! As someone who is in no way involved in social media (I refuse participating on likes of Facebook and others) it is sad to see that one-sentence-news on strange comments on FB, Twitter and Co. are obviously the only way of communication a lot of poeple these days are willing to take.
    But `nuff about that, happy to see that these new boards give us a new way to express ourselves - with more than a one-sentence-statement.
    Thanks to the ones responsible for that! Great work, appreciated!!

5. davidcotyalex

davidcotyalex Well-Known Grayhead

halo nikdom and welcome over to this one - it is so much better though don't you think??!! Marcel is the genius so he deserves all the credit - it really does feel fresh and modern I think and way better than the old 1980s board we had! Our design expert is also to thank for much of that! ;)

to your point on the email no I didn't get anything but they did make a statement on the board that it was going to close on nov 22 about ten days prior if I recall...............but to your point the board - and frankly the ireland tour ticket situation - are both a bit of a head scratcher...........here's to good thoughts on a smooth 2014 tour!!! :rolleyes:

we totally agree on the facebook etc comment and that was part of the ridiculousness of the message - "come join the discussion on Facebook or twitter" - really?? there is nothing there save mindless posts into some vat of anonymity...........so myself for one am very grateful for the work that was done to re-create a place for real conversation to occur

6. Main

Main Active Grayhead

Nice to see you too, DCA! Glad you had a wonderful time at the Blue Balls Festival again. I saw Keb'Mo there last year and LOVED it! This year I didn't go at all. I think we were on holiday for most of the festival.

7. nikdom

nikdom New Grayhead

Well thanks DCA for your kind words and explanations. And yes, definitely, this new board seem way better than the old one. Thanks again for everyone involved, esp. Marcel!