Please help me understand "Ain't no love"

Discussion in 'David Gray's Music' started by Luke Narlee, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Luke Narlee

Luke Narlee Member Grayhead

Hi everyone. Wanted to ask you all a question about his song "Ain't no love." It's one of my favorites of his, listened to it a trillion times, love the lyrics, but I honestly don't understand the overall meaning of it. What does he means when he says "this ain't no love that's guiding me." If it ain't love, than what is it? Because everything he's singing about in the song pretty much sounds like love to me. So, I don't know if I'm just being stupid or what, but if anyone here thinks they know what it is that's guiding him, please fill me in. Thanks!

2. Birdie

Birdie Member Grayhead

Hi Luke,
    this is something I'm not really sure about, either. Everything sounds like love that's guiding him, absolutely, but he dinies. I think of it, that it could be a one-way love, so it must be dinied, or something that should not be the way it is. I've gotten lots of gre(a)y hair over it, but it's the only explanation I can find. Maybe someone else has differant ideas to it.............

Love, Birdie

3. davidcotyalex

davidcotyalex Well-Known Grayhead

ain't no love for bullsheite................no false gods

the uplifting element of the song is embracing life..........and all that it entails dark and light

been trying to spread the #onelove to y'all but I guess some are missing the sermons! ;)

our energetic newbie doesn't even know who I am lol!!!

try google...............it works wonders

will let my friend Neil explain it in detail for you

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/3645577/A-new-shade-of-Gray.html

Marcel likes this.
  4. Birdie

Birdie Member Grayhead

Well, didn't know we got someone here who seems to know everything:mask:. There seem to be people who know more about some meaning than the artist himself, there are some songs which Dave says he doesn't know the meaning of, himself. And I remember him saying, that sometimes meanings change with the years passing by.
    Saying this without having read the article mentioned above.

Love, Birdie

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  5. carmel59

carmel59 Well-Known Grayhead

"I've never had a religious inclination. This sense that there's some sort of love that shapes our lives is surely wrong. It's far deeper forces than that. It's survival and nurture and instinct, it's animal and it's very core. That's what our existence is and I think that notion just struck a chord with me."--David Gray

DCA that was surely an interesting interview. I hadn't seen that one before. It makes me sad to read that he doesn't believe in God. In my insignificant opinion God is surely using David's gift of music. Obviously David is open and receiving that gift.

In the quote above where he says "that there's some sort of love that shapes our lives is surely wrong" Then lists that it's survival, nuture, instinct etc. Those things I believe are actually driven by love (God)-- as in imbued by.

I think I think too much.:confused:
    DCA I don't know who you are either:p

Birdie, read the article, good stuff

KirstenH likes this.
  6. VickiC

VickiC Active Grayhead

I think that with a lot of his songs, this one if left to the interpretation of the listener. I've heard DG talk about writing this song for a Welsh movie about a teenage, single mom. She's down on her luck, and he said it was kind of a hymn. You can listen to that here, but let me warn you, he doesn't finish Ain't No Love, and it gets a little comical - and I was being loud yelling DAMPNESS! and when Neill left the stage and Robbie ran on, we just lost it!! :).

I was listening to the song one day and it hit me like a thunderbolt: It's not love, it's duty. This mother - with her half-remembered dreams - had a duty to her little girl, coughing, probably unhealthy, sitting under the broken window pane...you know the rest. Having been single mother for a long time myself, yes, YES you love your children, but you also have a duty to them to provide and care and educate and entertain, etc, etc, etc, and it's overwhelming. I like to think that this mom, like me, didn't ever give up, she did right by her child. Loved her, certainly, but she also lived up to the duty that every child is owed but some don't receive. This is STRICTLY what the song means to me, and that makes it all the more precious to me.

KirstenH, Marcel and Saintsfan like this.
  7. RosalieEP

RosalieEP Well-Known Grayhead

It clicked for me when he described the character he wrote it for and how it's a sort of atheist prayer. He's introduced it the same way each time I've heard it live. He's singing as someone in a hopeless situation and feeling abandoned by God. Through all the struggles, it's "so laughable and small" from God's vantage point, so there's no love overseeing it all.

Klilycat likes this.
  8. Klilycat

Klilycat New Grayhead

I think this sums it up best

9. Birdie

Birdie Member Grayhead

Now I have read the article. To me, there are still some things left to be said.
    First - I totally agree with David saying that there is no God in terms of love. I would even go further than that as I say: if there is someone like some kind of God, he's got to be a mean small man who keeps us like mice in his laboratory, just to find out how long it may take until we got ourselves completely hacked down.
    But nevertheless, to me this is not really the subject of Ain't No Love. I think I'm with Vicky in this case, that the meaning of it is more left to anyone's own interpretation.
    And what we surely do not need is a commend like that of Master Teacher dca. Most of the time I like reading his posts, but he seems to be wacky negative at the moment:oops:

Love, Birdie

10. Saintsfan

Saintsfan Member Grayhead

Isn't there subjectivity in interpreting ANY form of art? The "meaning" is left to the listener/viewer to interpret for themselves, but it is always interesting to have specific insight into what the piece means to the artist. Then it is up to the listener/viewer to decide if knowing the artist's intention changes what they feel about the piece.
    Generally I find that the artist's insight adds to my enjoyment rather than detracts from it, but to each his own...

11. KirstenH

KirstenH Active Grayhead

I agree with you. I think David's musical talent is proof that there is a God. It is not just the randomness of the universe. Maybe that is the irony of him not believing in a God. ??

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    carmel59 likes this.
  12. ak11

ak11 Well-Known Grayhead

There's something similar to this song in Dylan's Shooting Star. Check it out..

Saintsfan and JackieJo like this.
  13. KirstenH

KirstenH Active Grayhead

Since that article was from 2005, maybe he has changed a bit. When I first heard Gulls....."toward the seed that God sowed" ...the part of the lyrics that confused me, it made me think he recognizes a higher power.

Ok, I will look up Shooting Star now. :)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  14. carmel59

carmel59 Well-Known Grayhead

I thought the same. Even in his interviews , I've noticed a spiritual vocabulary. There is "something" happening, it seems obvious to me. Sometimes one has to stand wayyyyyyyy back to recognize what others see as right before our eyes. Anyway, the music is just fantastic!!!

Saintsfan and KirstenH like this.
  15. Saintsfan

Saintsfan Member Grayhead

Completely agree with all you said!

carmel59 likes this.
  16. Achtung Bubba

Achtung Bubba New Grayhead

As much as I hate to, I do agree that Ain't No Love does describe an atheistic viewpoint, but I believe Real Love is just as obviously the song's polar opposite.

And something in the heart of me
    Is telling me it’s time
    To meet the eye of destiny
    And leave it all behind

And through my bones an iron rage
    paints my soul upon the page
    I hear the voice of Eden cry
    Lift me up to walk on high...

17. ak11

ak11 Well-Known Grayhead

DG's views seem more agnostic than atheist to me.

Rena, RosalieEP and davidcotyalex like this.
  18. joshua_nathan

joshua_nathan Member Grayhead

Don’t see Elysium
    Don’t see no fiery hell
    Just the lights up bright baby
    In the bay hotel
    Next wave coming in
    Like an ocean roar
    Won’t you take my hand, darling
    On that old dancefloor

We can twist and shout
    Do the turtle dove
    And you’re the one I love

That's the kind of afterlife I'd go for.

19. Brian Morris

Brian Morris New Grayhead

For me, it's fairly clear. It's his humble statement that there is no guiding force (G0d) out there that leads and protects us. What makes this so brilliant is that he clearly wishes that there were a good God and that he could believe in that guiding power.

20. davidcotyalex

davidcotyalex Well-Known Grayhead

aint no wishin imho...........he truly feels it