Soccer Aid 2006 - David Gray :D

Discussion in 'All About David' started by John, Feb 27, 2015.

1. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

Hey folks,
    as you know is David Gray a huge football fan.

In 2006 he had the great opportunity to play for great britian in the Unicef soccer aid by Robbie Williams and Jonathan Wilkes. "Soccer Aid is a biennial British charity event that has raised over £15 million in aid of UNICEF UK, through ticket sales and donations from the public. " (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccer_Aid). Many other stars played there.. (LIST).

The england team led 2:0 and then David (with the number 2) handballed unluckily within the 11m zone - Diego Maradona used the chance for a goal.. Oh David! :/

"Les Ferdinand and TV presenter Jonathan Wilkes scored for England. Maradona replied with a penalty after singer David Gray handballed."

To join the charity and stay there with all the soccer legends was a dream came true ;)

Luckily I found the scene:

from 3:16 !

Cheers :)

KirstenH and nevermind like this.
  2. Teemto

Teemto Active Grayhead

Thanks for this clip John! I had heard much about this from the old forum but never seen footage (didn't really follow football at the time).

The penalty incident is quite funny :D It looks really stupid at first glance but after the replay it just looks like he wasn't ready for the quick free kick.... and his leap was a bit rushed. Not that I'd do any better lol!

To be on the same pitch with the likes of Peter Schmeichel, Diego Maradona and Gianfranco Zola.... is a feat which not many can claim to have accomplished.
    It's crazy when you actually step back and think what a crazy life this guy has had!!

nevermind and John like this.