Martin 000C David Gray Custom Guitar

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by John, Feb 3, 2014.

1. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

Hey folks,
    does anyone have a Martin 000C David Gray Custom Guitar ??
    How is it? Could you upload some photographs?!?

My dream as guitarist is to hold a Martin 000C David Gray Custom Guitar in my hands in the future. A year ago there were one sold in america. And im sad - because I know I missed to reach my dream closely :banghead:

I REALLY WANT TO BUY THIS MODEL, SO IF YOU GOT ONE, PLEASE SELL IT TO ME :D

-> contact <- :pompus:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  2. carmel59

carmel59 Well-Known Grayhead

3. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

Thank you @carmel59 for helping me, but these links are old and do not work anymore, or the offers are expired.. :dead:

But thank you, really!

4. tony

tony Active Grayhead

being someone who wishes to spend a fortune on guitars as well, all i say is: don't do it!
    no money will ever buy you what you want to sound like... it's an instrument, an instrument to make your thoughts a sound.
    your goal should much more be something like making martin & co. build a "john custom 000". and **** the c...

John likes this.
  5. carmel59

that is not a "fortune" for a Martin. You'll have it for life and it will get better with age. Beautiful memories, music, etc. Pass it one to children,...........John, I'd hold out for the best guitar you can find!!!! I've never heard a more beautiful tone than on a Martin. We have a couple in my family.

6. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

@tony: I like the idea of a "john custom 000", and yeah lets **** the C :D But, it's a bit to expensive building an own custom model.. It's really not a fortune for a Martin..
    @carmel59: Yes, I know. David Gray and all the others (http://www.martinguitar.com/players/signature-artists.html) showed me early with their playing, that only a martin could bring THE tone. I will only buy Davids signature model, because I really like how it sounds and how it looks - and its shape and body form (000C) with this cutaway is unique.
    Others would'nt fit that good to me. :D It's only really difficult for me to get one, because there are only 100 pieces outside (in america, I guess) and it's not easy to get one there, living in europe.

Maybe you americans could look out for me from time to time in the classified ads or somewhere else (I don't know where you sell it otherwise :D ) and could arrange the contact then, if there is one, and manage the shipping etc. Of course I will pay then for efforts! Until that day comes, I will gain and save my money.

Thank you both for answering here :) !!

7. carmel59

Well, I will keep my eyes open for you!!! They really are special guitars. I will tell both my brothers, who have Martins, to be aware also. Who knows, one could turn up!!!

John likes this.
  8. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

@carmel59 thank you very much!!! They are, thank you so much - I hope so.

9. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

Little update - with thanks to @wolfie for asking Davids crew for the brand of the small guitar!

Yup. That's the same Guitalele by Yamaha on which David Gray and John Smith play.
    If there is a guitarist here as I'm: get one as fast as possible. It makes fun, it sounds good, it looks funny and sweet, is cheap and it is the best traveller guitar you might have seen.

For me it is a must have, because I l o v e David Grays music - and love to play it myself!

BUT: I still search for the Martin 000C David Gray! So if you ever hear a whisper that someone wants to sell it or it is on sale somewhere...

PLEASE > contact <- :pompus:

Foto.JPG

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  10. squtternutbosh77

squtternutbosh77 New Grayhead

David also has a guitar thats quite similar to his signature 000C model, except it has a maroonish pick guitar and a few other slight differences. Not sure the exact model of that Martin is though.

For those who may be wondering the model is of David's Martin guitar with the Mother of Pearl inlay in the headstock; its a 1998 Martin D-42. David currently keeps and plays the guitar in Nashville Tuning. If you want a new D42, it'll cost you a cool $5,500.

The exceptionally large guitar, which is baritone guitar, that David plays from time to time and is featured on We Could Fall In Love Again Tonight, is a Tacoma BMC6 Baritone Thunderhawk. The standard tuning of that guitar is actually BDGCEB. Its a fairly inexpensive guitar, as its about $1,100.

The guitar, which David recorded the entire Lost Songs record with and is shown in the Birds Without Wings music video, is his vintage 1964 Martin. Dont recall the model of it either. The value of that guitar is probably north of $10K now. It can also be seen in this rare 1996 video -

Other acoustic guitars that David owns and used to play regularly in the past is a Harmony which is seen in the Shine music video and in short video extra on the Live In Slow Motion DVD, a Larivee which can be seen in the Wisdom music video, a Takamine, a thin model Guild, and the more famous big body Lowden which was used to record the entire White Ladder album and is seen through 95% of the Live At The Point DVD (the Guild and Takamine are seen in the DVD too).

JackieJo, John and RosalieEP like this.
  11. carmel59

I loved reading that information, the sound of the baritone is spectacular.

12. tony

tony Active Grayhead

i think it is a martin 000-18 '63 and you might get it cheaper than 10k...
    john, what exactly is your plan if buying such a guitar? are you writing songs?

John likes this.
  13. carmel59

I can't say enough about that Martin sound, I grew up listening to my Dad play a D-35, 1966 or 67. (Thats why I'm moved to tears at times.) My brother has another beautiful instrument---- a D-28.

John likes this.
  14. bfeekes

bfeekes New Grayhead

Hello John, This is my first post on this new forum. I can appreciate your love for his signature edition as I was able to buy one I believe in 2006. I've uploaded some pictures for you. I was actually able to get David to sign it after one of his shows that I saw a while back. Neill actually recommended that I bring it for him to sign the next time i saw him play and I did. The real treat was having Neill actually play it! As for finding one I've always perused Ebay over the years and I've seen two since I bought mine. Unfortunately I haven't seen one recently. I absolutely love the guitar and it has a very beautiful sound. I'll start looking for you and I'll let you know if I ever come across one. David Gray Martin .jpg David Gray Martin 2.jpg David Gray Martin 3.jpg

wolfie, John, carmel59 and 2 others like this.
  15. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

OH HELL!!!! :oops::rolleyes:o_O:jawdrop::woot::wideyed::nailbiting::singing: There is one. Wow! Thank you @bfeekes for taking these really nice pictures for me! I would be really glad if you look out for me, too! BTW: welcome here!!

Wow, you've got number five!! Number one is by David.. :D Nice! It would be interesting to know how much of them were made, but I guess not very much!

Great to see that here are some other guitar heads in this forum. So this thread is now the official David Grays Guitars Thread!

You are (sadly) perfectly right, there are no for sale recently.. I look out everywhere too. So if you find one somewhere, please let me know :)

@tony: Actually I'm trying to :D But it's hard to sit down and "work"... Buying this guitar would make me a Martin guitar owner of an awesome nice and special Martin Guitar: The 000C David Gray. So this will be my one and only Martin guitar for the rest of my life, if I could snap one.

Btw: David twittered one of his nice Martins.

And for all people who love the sound of "The One I Love" David is playing there a Jerry Jones Neptune Longhorn guitar as I reported in the old forum before, if someone can remember ^^
    It's a really rar guitar.

Jerry_Jones_Neptune_Longhorn_bass.jpg
    YES, it's the bass - but because the guitar is so rar - I have not found a picture of it.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
    carmel59 likes this.
  16. carmel59

I took this pic this weekend in Rochester Hills, MI ...........Martin logo in plain sight. IMG_1486.jpg

JackieJo and John like this.
  17. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

@carmel59: good pics! I saw them before ;) It's Davids Martin D-42 - the one he twittered before :)

18. carmel59

yes, I just thought I'd post the pic here, thought it appropriate. Just love the sound of it!

John likes this.
  19. bfeekes

bfeekes New Grayhead

John, as for the signature edition there was talk when it was released that the production number was really low, I remember reading around 15? I could be totally off but like you said you don't see them that often. I appreciate you welcoming me! I've been a David Gray fan for a long time and and caught the seeing him live bug back in 2007.

John likes this.
  20. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

@bfeekes

Yes, I had concerned that there are only that less builded. THAT IS SHIT!!! I've read something about this too. Maybe I have to speak with the Martin Custom Shop ^^

That is nice to hear! Its's great to have you back!!